Basic Alpinism Course in the Alps
Places availables from 20 to 27 august. This full 6 day program has been carefully designed to teach you all the skills needed to climb safely in glaciated terrain.
Throughout the week the emphasis is on equipping you with the skills to go alpine climbing and alpine mountaineering independently in the future, or tackle bigger objectives on one our more technical courses.
– Personal climbing movement skills & rock climbing techniques with the aim of climbing efficiently & enjoyably.
– Basic rock climbing skills like putting on your harness and tying in to the rope.
– Technical sessions will include further knots, tying in to anchors and using protection equipment (slings, nuts, cams, hexes etc).
– Descending or retreating safely from rock climbs.
– Alpine rock skills, managing the rope on easy ground, taking coils & moving together.
– Alpine mountain skills, approaching a rock climb with a snow or glacial approach.
– Crampon and ice axe training / skills.
– Crevasse rescue techniques, keeping it simple and effective.
– Personal movement skills on a variety of types of terrain.
– Safe, simple and efficient glacier travel protocol & techniques.
– Efficient use of the rope on mountaineering terrain.
– Selecting appropriate equipment to be safe but also light and effective.
– Using mountain huts.
– Use of maps, guide books, GPS and the latest ‘Apps’ for route planning and navigation.
– Emergency Procedures in the Alps.